Phil has successfully handled hundreds of serious bodily injury claims in his career, including a number of multi-million dollar settlements for clients. This work earned him recognition as a member of the Million Dollar and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forums. He is consistently recognized as a top-rated attorney, including being named as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer and a Top 100 Pennsylvania Trial Lawyer by The National Trial Lawyers. Phil has earned the respect of fellow attorneys and judges alike, having received the highest possible "AV" rating from Martindale-Hubbell, which is based on evaluations by attorneys and judges. Only five percent of attorneys nationwide receive an "AV" rating, which denotes that the attorney has reached the highest level of professional excellence, skills and integrity. Phil has received the "AV" rating every year since 2003.
Over the years, Phil has passionately supported his professional community, including serving as president of the Franklin County Bar Association and co-founder and longstanding president of Franklin County Legal Services, a not for profit corporation providing free legal services to those in need. Phil also volunteers his time at Women in Need, where he represents women seeking protection from abuse. This unwavering commitment to his profession and community has earned Phil numerous recognitions, including the Ted Wingerd Award from the Franklin County Bar Association, honoring a "lifelong commitment to clients, community and the profession of law" as well as the Pennsylvania Bar Association's Pro Bono Award.
His passion for helping others goes well beyond the courtroom. Phil is a past president of the Chambersburg Lions Club, recipient of the Chambersburg Rotary Club Excel Award, a longtime Little League and Youth Soccer coach, and, since 1988, has served as either President, Vice President or Advisor to Corpus Christi Catholic Church's St. Vincent DePaul Ministry, which provides assistance to those in need.
Phil lives in Chambersburg with Kathy, his beautiful wife of 43 years. They are the proud parents of three children and Phil is the proud "Pops" to their four grandchildren.
- The Dickinson School of Law, Carlisle, Pennsylvania
- J.D. - 1979
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: Woolsack Honor Society
- La Salle University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- B.A. - 1976
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: Psychology
- Pennsylvania, 1979
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1980
- Rated AV – Preeminent, the highest rating possible through Martindale-Hubbell consisting of evaluations by attorneys and judges with only 5% attorneys achieving the highest AV rating
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyer
- The National Trial Lawyers – Top 100 Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers
- Recipient of Ted Wingerd Award from the Franklin County Bar Association – 2014 - “in recognition of lifelong commitment to clients, community and the profession of law”
- Recipient of Chambersburg Rotary Club Excel Award – 2007
- Recipient of Pennsylvania Bar Association Pro Bono Award – 2002
Classes & Seminars
- Civil Practice and Procedure, Pennsylvania State - Mont Alto Campus, 1984 to 1985
- Women In Need - Volunteer attorney, prosecuting Protection From Abuse cases
- Franklin County Legal Services (not for profit corporation providing free legal services to those in need) , President, 2000 to Present
- Member of Million Dollar Advocates Forum and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- American Association for Justice
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Franklin County Bar Association, President, 2002 to 2003